Ductless Mini-split Air Conditioners
Simply known as a mini-split, a ductless mini-split system is an effective way of adding heating or cooling to any specific room or rooms in a home. It consists of an indoor unit mounted on the wall and connected to a compressor. This system is easier to install and more efficient compared to a full ducted one.
These types of air conditioners have a wide range of potential applications in many buildings including residential, commercial and even institutional buildings.
These applications (the most common ones) are found in multifamily housing. They can also be fitted in buildings with heating systems such as radiant panels, hydronic or space heaters. Moreover, these applications are preferred for small apartments and room additions in which it is not feasible to install or extend distribution ductwork.
As is the case with central systems, ductless mini-split air conditioners consist of two major components: The first one is an outdoor condenser/compressor. The second one is an indoor unit which handles the air. A conduit housing the suction tubing, power cable, condenser drain, and refrigerant tubing acts as a link between the two units (the outdoor and indoor unit).
Pros of Ductless Mini-split Air Conditioners:
Depending on your home’s construction, the ductless Mini-split Air Conditioner systems can be of help in a variety of applications, including whole-house heating and cooling. Here are some advantages of the mini-split systems:
- They come in small sizes and are flexible. This allows zoning (either heating or cooling) of individual rooms which makes it possible for each zone to have a thermostat. Each occupied space can, therefore, be conditioned, thus saving energy and cutting on cost.
- They are also easier to install compared to the other system. For instance, in between the indoor and outdoor units, you only need a three-inch opening (through the wall) for the conduit. In addition, many of the company’s manufacturing the mini-split systems can easily provide connecting conduits of different lengths.
- Mini-splits don’t have ducts and therefore help in avoiding energy losses. Ducts often account for more energy consumption in space conditioning. This is true especially when the ducts are in an unconditioned space.
- Mini-splits offer a wide range of flexibility when it comes to interior design options.
- Split-systems also help in keeping the home safer because the hole in the wall is small. This is not the case in window mounted and through-the-wall air-conditioners, which intruders can easily take advantage of.
Installation of Ductless Mini-split Air Conditioners:
In fact, they are not easy to install. During installation, the installer must correctly size each of the indoor units and carefully judge the right location for installation of the unit. Oversized or wrong location of air-handlers often leads to short-cycling. This ends up wasting energy and doesn’t provide good temperature and humidity control.
When it comes to installing ductless mini-split air conditioners, not many companies have skilled professionals to do the job. At Rooter Hero we have experts who can install ductless mini-split air conditioners in your home, giving you the convenience that you need. Contact us for more information.