Regular maintenance goes a long way toward sustaining a working plumbing system. Homeowners who are on top of kitchen and bathroom plumbing maintenance will reap the rewards. Minor repairs are less expensive than major repair or replacement services. While it’s always a good idea to call a licensed plumber if you have questions, we know that educated homeowners experience fewer problems. That is why we put together this professional grade plumbing maintenance checklist for you to identify and repair small problems on your own.
Kitchen Plumbing Maintenance
Your home’s kitchen can be a source of plumbing leaks and clogs. Here are some maintenance tips to keep your sinks and drains in top condition.
- Inspect your sinks for leaks. This is the hardest-working fixture in the kitchen. Leaks can form quickly and virtually anywhere. Check your faucet, garbage disposal, under-sink piping, and the faucet’s sprayer.
- Look for signs of water damage under the sink.
- Use your garbage disposal according to manufacturer recommendations.
- Clean the sink drain regularly to get rid of debris. There are chemical cleaners that are safe or you can search online for natural solutions.
Bathroom Plumbing Maintenance
The #1 service call we receive at Rooter Hero Plumbing is for a clogged toilet. But, toilet clogs aren’t the only bathroom plumbing problems that our customer experience. Check out these maintenance tips for a watertight bathroom.
- Clear drains. If drains have hair or other visible debris, remove it by hand or by using drain snake.
- Check the base of the toilet and around faucets and shower heads for leaks.
- Repair running toilets. This is a cheap and easy fix that can be completed in as little as 5 minutes.
- Clean faucets or shower heads that have limescale buildup. If necessary, replace the fixtures if cleaning doesn’t work.
Septic and Sewer Maintenance
Sewer line repair is a major expense. Don’t let this home plumbing problem take you by surprise. There are things you can do today to prevent a busted sewer line or raw sewage from backing up into your home.
• Use an enzyme additive on a regular basis to clean the septic system.
• Schedule regular inspections by a professional plumber. Annual inspections are recommended.
• Do not plant trees or other types of shrubbery with long roots near the sewer line. Landscaping should be planted at least 10 ft. away from sewer lines to prevent tree roots from growing into the line or strangling the line.
• Have the sewer line cleaned annually.
• Call for professional service immediately if you suspect a problem.
Rooter Hero Plumbing has over 20 years of experience helping homeowners and businesses with their plumbing problems. We serve metropolitan areas in Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson), Texas (Houston) and California (Southern and Central CA). To schedule an inspection or to learn more about the plumbing maintenance and repair services we offer, call us today.
We offer same-day service, free estimates, and affordable pricing. No one beats our commitment to quality workmanship and excellent customer service!