Springtime Plumbing Tips
With springtime officially underway, now is the perfect time to perform some regular springtime maintenance on your plumbing system. Regular maintenance for your plumbing system helps keep things moving and working more efficiently. It also helps prolong the lifespan of your plumbing and helps prevent unexpected plumbing disasters. Spring makes an excellent time to check off some of your annual plumbing maintenance to do’s. Here are some springtime plumbing tips, to help get you started.
Check for Leaks
Leak detection is an important springtime plumbing tip, that can help you save water, money, and protect the integrity of your home. A leaking faucet or pipe can waste thousands of gallons of water if left undetected, which can also cause water damage and mold. Water damage and mold can be expensive to repair, and mold can be dangerous to your health. This is why proactive leak detection is so important. Start by inspecting all accessible plumbing; for example under sinks, behind toilets, in crawl spaces, and attics. Water supply hoses should also be inspected as well, this includes supply lines to toilets and water using appliances like the washing machine. In addition, having a professional leak inspection performed can help identify hidden leaks behind walls and under flooring. Hidden leaks can cause the most devastation and do the most damage, so this preventive step is worth the cost of hiring a professional.
When it comes to leak detection it is also important to know what to look out for. Some signs you have a water leak include:
- The sound of running or rushing water
- Visible signs of water damage
- Unexplained puddles of water
- Saturated ground
- The smell of mold
- Higher than usual water bill
If you notice any of these signs, do not hesitate to contact your plumber right away. Leaks should be repaired as quickly as possible to prevent waste and excessive damage.
Regular drain cleaning is important to protect the health of your drains. Which is why drain cleaning is an important springtime plumbing tip. After the heavy winter rainstorms, a lot of debris can get swept up into your drains, leaving them vulnerable to clogs. Having your drains cleaned during the springtime is the perfect antidote. In addition, drains can build up with a lot of grime overtime, from soap scum, grease and other debris. This grime can eventually obstruct water flow which can cause clogs. Cleaning this grime from your drains on a regular basis is the best way to keep things moving. Some signs your drains are ready for a cleaning include:
- Slow drainage
- Frequent clogs
- Bad odors
- Strange sounds
- The presence of fruit or drain flies
Water Heater Maintenance
Water heater maintenance is another important springtime plumbing tip. Did you know that your water heater will last longer with regular maintenance? This goes for both tank storage and tankless water heaters. Regular water heater maintenance will not only help your water heater last longer, but help it run more effectively and efficiently.
- Tank storage water heaters need to be drained and flushed. This helps remove any excessive sediment buildup from inside the tank. The tank needs to be thoroughly checked for any rust or signs or signs of corrosion. The anode rod, TPR valve, and thermostat all should be checked. In addition, the heat source also needs to be inspected, if you have a gas water heater, make sure the pilot is strong. Also make sure the area around your water heater is free from debris and clutter.
- Tankless water heaters are often sold as low maintenance, but just because they are low maintenance does not mean they are zero maintenance. Tankless water heaters can still be susceptible to sediment buildup, which can make your water heater work harder which makes it less effective and efficient. Plus the extra work, can make your water heater more prone to breakdowns. Tankless water heaters should be flushed at regular intervals to prevent excessive buildup of minerals. How frequently this needs to be done will depend on how hard the water is where you live. The harder the water, the more frequent it needs to be done.
Want to get a jump start on your springtime plumbing maintenance? Contact Rooter Hero Plumbing today!