Plumbing Tips That Everyone Should Know
Plumbing Tips That Everyone Should KnowDecember 20 / 2019
Your home’s plumbing system is made up of an intricate network of pipes and drains. You probably don’t give much thought to your plumbing, until you are faced with a plumbing disaster. In which case it is important to know how to react in order to prevent excessive damage and more costly repairs. Here are some plumbing tips that everyone should know.
Have The Right Tools On HandIn the event of a plumbing emergency it is a good idea to have the proper tools on hand. While you may not be equipped to make the repairs yourself, being able to contain the situation before it gets worse is imperative. Some tools you should have on hand include:
- Plunger - Remember there are several different types of plungers, we recommend having a designated sink plunger (cup plunger) and a designated toilet plunger (flange plunger). This enables the best suction, and is good for sanitary purposes.
- Wrench - There are several different types of wrenches that are good to have on hand including: basin wrench, pipe wrench, and adjustable wrench. A wrench provides extra grip and a mechanical advantage when applying torque. You may find you need a wrench to shut off the water supply, or tighten a loose fitting fixture.
- Tongue and Groove Pliers - These pliers are used for gripping and turning nuts and bolts, gripping unusually shaped objects, and clamping. They are very versatile can can be used in a wide variety of scenarios.
- Duct Tape - Duct tape can be used to temporarily hold things together and stop leaks.
Avoid Over TighteningOver tightening fittings and connections is a rookie mistake that can lead to problems down the road. When it comes to your plumbing always remember “hand tight is just right”. Otherwise you risk stripping, which can cause leaks down the road.
Stay On Top Of MaintenanceThings like on going leak detection, drain cleaning, and water heater maintenance are important to keep plumbing problems at bay, help your plumbing last longer, and save you money.
- Leak Detection - A plumbing leak may not start off that serious, however, if it is left to fester it can create a big problem. Water leaks can damage plumbing fixtures, cause water damage, mold, and waste a lot of water. Proactive leak detection is a must, and when a leak it found it needs to be repaired right away.
- Drain Cleaning - Regular drain cleaning by a professional helps remove the nasty sludge that forms inside of your pipes. This prevents clogs which are messy, nasty, and can be costly.
- Water Heater Maintenance - Your water heater should be drained and flushed at least once a year. This helps your water heater operate more effectively and efficiently which helps it last longer.
Watch What Goes Down The DrainThe easiest way to prevent drain problems is to watch what goes down the drain. This goes for both bathroom and kitchen drains. Things that should never go down the drain include:
- Left Overs
- Egg Shells
- Coffee Grounds
- Paper (other than toilet paper)
- Dental Floss
- Prescription Medications