Tips on How to Lower Water Bill!
Tips on How to Lower Water Bill!June 29 / 2019
Summer usually means an increase in your water bill. The bill amount could change based on your outdoor watering needs, running the swamp cooler, playing in the water with the kids, and more. But, there are also other plumbing issues that could double your water bill.
- A typical American home wastes more than 9,000 gallons of water running the faucet while waiting for the water to heat, which means that as much as 15 percent of your annual heating costs are wasted while you heat that extra 9,000 gallons.
- A leaky faucet that could fill an eight-ounce glass in 15 minutes, it will waste 180 gallons of water a month (2,160 gallons a year).
- Flushing the toilet consumes about 38 percent of the average U.S. household’s water usage. But, by installing a low-flush toilet, you can save up to 18,000 gallons of water a year!
Plumbing Tips to Save on Your Water Bill
Install Low-flow Toilets
Installing low-flow toilets will significantly reduce the amount of water these household items use, and you could save two to five gallons per flush.
Adding aerators to the faucets reduce the amount of water your faucet uses and make the flow more forceful. An aerator acts as a sieve to reduce the amount of water coming through the faucet head. As the aerator compacts the flow of water, it increases the pressure. It saves you 17 to 27 gallons per day.
Energy Star Appliances
Upgrading to energy star applications will cut back both on water and energy usage. It could save you more than 30 gallons of water per laundry cycle.
Did you know hand-washing dishes can use more water than a dishwasher? A dishwasher uses 6 gallons per cycle in an average while water usually flows from your faucet at a rate of 2 gallons per minute. So, by using a dishwasher, you can save two to four gallons of water per a load of dishes.
- Take shorter showers
- Schedule when to water your lawn
- Insulate your pipes
- Turn off the water while brushing or shaving
- Use a drip irrigation system
- Inspect your plumbing system
Bills are not fun to pay! So, follow the above tips to end up paying less money and also using up less water. Contact our experts today to install a low-flow toilet and fix leaky faucets, to stop wasting water.