When Your Water Pressure Is Off: Part 2 - High Water Pressure
When Your Water Pressure Is Off: Part 2 - High Water PressureJuly 26 / 2019
When your water pressure is off it can be a real pain. Not only can it cause discomfort, but it can also be a sign that something is wrong with your plumbing system. The recommended PSI for homes is between 50-70. If it is too low, that is when you get a trickle out of your faucet, which can be annoying, but is usually a simple fix. You can also have too much pressure. If your pressure is over 70 and shooting out of your faucet it could be causing damage to your plumbing system, plumbing fixtures, and even your appliances. Here is why your water pressure is off, and how you can fix your pressure.
Why You Have Too Much PressureHigh water pressure can be a serious plumbing problem. If you are suffering from too much pressure, you may be facing frequent plumbing repairs, and find yourself having to replace appliances more frequently. There are several reasons why your water pressure is off:
- You live at the bottom of a hill. Water naturally runs downhill, so this naturally will increase your pressure.
- You live in the city near tall buildings. The water company may intentionally have the pressure a little higher in areas with tall buildings or fire hydrants. Higher pressure enables the water to reach the top stories better.
- Thermal expansion in your plumbing, as a result of water volume changing from the water heater.
What Are The Signs of Too Much Pressure?Like most plumbing problems, there are signs that you can lookout for. When your pressure is off you may notice a drastic change in the flow of water. If your pressure is too high you may notice:
- Water shooting out of the faucet
- Banging or rattling pipes otherwise known as water hammer
- Leaking faucets
- Running toilets
- Early water heater failure
- Early appliance failure
How To Treat Too Much PressureIf you notice too much pressure, even if it only happens once in a while, it is a good idea to have a pressure regulator valve installed. Your home may already have one, at which point it may need to be replaced, as they usually last 7-12 years. This is installed at your main water line, and controls the flow of water to your home. This can not only help lower your pressure, but also reduce the amount of water flowing into your home, lowering your water bill. Suffering from too much pressure? Rooter Hero can help! Contact Rooter Hero today to learn more about high water pressure or to schedule your appointment.
Related Articles Signs You May Have a Damaged Sewer Line The Effect of Heavy Rain on Your Plumbing What Liquids Should You NOT Pour Down The Drain