How Often Should I Have My Drains Cleaned?
How Often Should I Have My Drains Cleaned?March 09 / 2020
We all like when our drains are working properly. A clogged drain is no joke, it can be messy, cause damage to the surrounding area, and put a real damper on your plans. Which is why it is important to prevent clogged drains. One of the best ways to prevent a clogged drain is by having your drains cleaned. But how often should you have your drains cleaned?
The Case For Regular Drain CleaningDrains can get pretty nasty over time. As time goes on a natural sludge builds up inside of your drains. This is comprised of soap scum, bacteria, and other debris that have made their way down your drain. Eventually this sludge can prevent normal function of your drains, leading to frequent clogs and other plumbing problems. In addition, mineral deposits can also start to collect in your pipes depending on the pH and mineral content of your water. Some areas are more prone to sediment buildup than others. If you live in an area with hard water, you know this all too well. The best way to combat sludge and sediment buildup is to have your drains cleaned on a regular basis.
How Professional Drain Cleaning WorksProfessional drain cleaning uses state of the art equipment. The two tools most often used for professional drain cleaning are a professional auger and a hydrojet. While you can pick up a plumbers snake or auger at the local hardware store, professional grade augers are stronger and are usually motorized. This gives them more power and the ability to push through tough clogs. Hydro jetting uses highly pressurized water to scour the interior walls of your pipes. This method removes anything in its wake. Leaving your pipes as clean as they were the day they were installed.
How Often Should I Have My Drains CleanedRegular drain cleaning is ideal to maintain the function of your drains. Most households can get by with annual drain cleaning. However, in some instances it may be a good idea to increase the frequency. Some instances that call for more frequent drain cleaning include:
- You have hard water. Hydro Jetting is a very effective way at removing sediment buildup and limescale from your pipes.
- You have pets. Pets shed a lot, and unfortunately pet hair can easily end up down the drain, which can cause a big problem.
- You cook a lot. If you cook a lot, your drains may be subject to more frequent buildup from FOGS (fats, oils, and grease).
The Best Time To Have Your Drains CleanedWhile you can have your drains cleaned at any time of the year, you may want to strategize it. Some things to consider:
- Do you live in a rainy area? If so, before the rainy season starts is a good time to have your drains cleaned. Heavy storms can lead to clogged drains.
- Do you have children who are going to be home more during the summer months? If so, having your drains cleaned before school lets out is a good idea, as the more frequent usage can put extra pressure on your drains.
- Are you big on holiday entertainment? The fall is a good time for drain cleaning because it can help prepare your drains for the extra holiday usage.